Funding for Seniors
The programs described in this section are available to eligible seniors.
Ontario Renovates Program (Homeowners Repair Program)
The Ontario Renovates program is made possible through the Investment in Affordable Housing (IAH) Program, which is funded by the federal and provincial governments.
Funding for 2016 will be available starting April 2016. Households must apply before December 1, 2016.
The Ontario Renovates Program offers financial assistance to low to moderate income households to:
- Repair their home to bring to acceptable standards while improving the energy-efficiency of the unit
- Increase accessibility of their home through modifications and adaptation
Who is eligible?
You may be eligible for the Ontario Renovates Program if:
- Your total household income is at or below the following thresholds for the Region of Waterloo:
- One person - $32,842
- Two persons - $40,886
- Three persons - $50,266
- Four persons - $61,028
- Five or more persons - $69,217
- You own a home that is your sole and principle residence with a market value of $360,500 or below
- Your house needs repairs or modifications in one of the following areas: structural, heating, electrical, fire safety, plumbing or accessibility.
How much financial assistance may one receive?
- Funding is provided in the form of a forgivable loan to a maximum of $25,000.
- Funding for accessibility modifications to a maximum of $25,000, with $5,000 in the form of a grant.
- The actual amount of assistance you will receive is based on the cost of approved repairs.
What repairs can be done?
Eligible repairs for Ontario Renovates may include major repairs and rehabilitation required to make a house safe while improving energy efficiency.
Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Heating systems
- Doors and windows
- Foundations, roofs, walls, floors and ceilings
- Electrical systems
- Roof replacement
- Toilet replacement with low-flush to dual-flush toilet
Modifications to increase accessibility, related to housing and reasonably related to the occupant's disability include, but are not limited to:
- Chair and bath lifts, and
- Height adjustments to countertops
To apply for the Ontario Renovates Program, please download the Application Form and submit it to the address below:
Region of Waterloo - Housing
c/o Ontario Renovates Program
20 Weber Street East, 4th Floor
Kitchener ON N2H 1C3
For more information, please view the Ontario Renovates Fact Sheet or contact us at email@example.com.