Affordable Community Housing
Affordable Community Housing gives individuals and families with low- to moderate-income households the opportunity to rent a housing unit at a lower cost.
The Region of Waterloo owns and operates more than 2,700 affordable rental units in Cambridge, Kitchener, Waterloo and Woolwich, Wellesley and Wilmot townships.
Apply for Community Housing
To apply for Rental Housing, you must:
- Read the Guide to Applying for Community Housing
- Fill out an application form
For a copy of the application form, choose one of the following options:
You must complete your application and return it to any of our Access Sites with all necessary information. If your application is approved, you will be placed on the Region's waiting list. When a unit becomes available, a Housing Provider will contact you.
NOTE: as of April 1, 2010, a new Smoke-Free Policy is in effect for new tenants moving into Waterloo Region Housing and Region of Waterloo Community Housing Inc. buildings. Other Housing Providers are also considering a smoke-free policy, and may decide to use a similar policy at their own housing site. The Region will let all applicants and tenants know when a Housing Provider decides to use a smoke-free policy. The updated list of smoke-free housing sites is also available.
Priority and Status Applications
Individuals and families that qualify for priority or status housing for reasons of personal safety or illness must fill out the application form and the appropriate form under our Forms & Guidelines page.
Community Housing Catalogue
The Region of Waterloo offers a range of housing units to suit many different needs. To learn more about the location and types of housing we have in Waterloo Region, please browse through our Community Housing Catalogue.
There are more than 50 Housing Providers associated with the Region of Waterloo. These Housing Providers are located throughout the region.
For more information
- For a list of other Housing Providers located in Waterloo Region, view our Other Providers list. These providers offer subsidized units, but may not be included on the Region's waiting list.
- To learn more about Waterloo Region Housing, Non-Profit housing or Co-op housing, please visit our Tenants & Members page.
- For more information about Affordable Community Housing, please read our Frequently Asked Questions.