Financial Assistance
99 Regina St. S.
Waterloo, Ontario
N2J 4G6

Phone: 519-883-2100
TTY: 519-575-4608
Fax: 519-883-2331

Map this location
Social Services home page

What's New

Ontario health cards can be used to access drug coverage

Starting September 1, 2016, you can use your Ontario health card to access drug coverage through the Ontario Drug Benefit program.  By late fall, the Province will no longer send out monthly drug eligibility cards with your statement. Instead, your health card will be used to access coverage. The changes will affect social assistance recipients of the following programs:

  • Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)*
  • Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD)
  • Ontario Works (OW)*
  • Temporary Care Assistance (TCA)

There will be a three month transition period to give clients, staff, Ontario Works delivery partners and stakeholders time to get accustomed to the new process. The paper drug eligibility card will continue to be printed for all clients during the transition period; however, clients may also begin using their Ontario health card.

As of December 1st, 2016, the paper drug eligibility card will no longer be provided to clients who have a health number recorded in the Social Assistance Management System (SAMS). The paper drug eligibility card will continue to be printed for clients with temporary health reference numbers (for individuals without an Ontario health card).

Replacement Health Cards/ID

If you lose your Ontario Works drug card or your Ontario health card, please contact your caseworker. They will be able to help you get a replacement card. Ontario health cards are free, there is no cost.

View the Province's Drug Eligibility Card changes for more information on how to get a health card and what to do if you are not eligible to apply for one. You can also visit the Province's website for more information on replacement health cards.

If you do not have a permanent address or are in need of other ID replacement (e.g., birth certificate), please contact The Bridges (Cambridge Shelter), the Kitchener Downtown Community Health Centre ID Clinic, which provides weekly appointments at St. John's Kitchen, YWCA Emergency Shelter, House of Friendship Emergency Shelter, and OneRoof.

Please speak with your caseworker if you have any questions or concerns.

Get up to $2000 for your child's future - Canada Learning Bond Sign-up Events

Was your child born on or after January 1, 2004? Is your net family income $44,701 or less? If yes, your child is eligible for free money of up to $2000 for their education through the Canada Learning Bond provided by the Government of Canada.

Event Details:
These events will bring together local banks and Service Canada to allow eligible families to open a Registered Educations Savings Plan (RESP) and access the Canada Learning Bond at no cost - all in one location.

  • June 1st 150 Main St., Cambridge, Board Room, 10:30 am - 3:00 pm (with participation from Bank of Montreal)
  • June 2nd 235 King St. E., Kitchener, Resource Centre, 10:30 am - 3:00 pm (with participation from Bank of Montreal & Scotiabank)
  • June 3rd 99 Regina St. S., Waterloo, Room 508, 10:30 am - 3:00 pm (with participation from Royal Bank, Bank of Montreal & Scotiabank)

To sign up, bring these two pieces of identification for yourself and your child:

  • A Birth Certificate or Canadian Status Document or Driver's License
  • Social Insurance Number - Service Canada will be on-site to provide SIN numbers

Can't make it to the event? Check out the new online Canada Learning Bond application to get started today!

For more information:

Get help to file your taxes for FREE

It's tax season again! Volunteers from across Waterloo Region are ready to help individuals and families with low income file their taxes. For a listing of Free Tax Clinics and Drop-off Services being offered throughout the community click here. We encourage you to review the eligibility criteria prior to booking your appointment.

Training Dollars for Employers (Canada Ontario Job Grant)

Are you an employer in the Region of Waterloo? Are you looking for training dollars for your workforce? The Region, through the Canada Ontario Job Grant, may be able to assist. For more details please click here.

Ontario Works Denture Program

Together with Public Health we are very pleased to tell you that financial assistance for denture care for adults living in Waterloo Region who are on Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) is available.  Denture services will include new dentures, repairs, relines and adjustments. Estimates must be sent by dental providers (dentists or denturists) to the Dental program in Public Health to confirm a person's eligibility for services before the care/services are provided.

Questions related to dental benefits and eligibility should be directed to the Public Health Dental Program at 519-575-4400, extension 13304.

You can read more by clicking here.

 Communicating With You

The Employment and Income Support division (Ontario Works) is using several communication tools to keep people up to date with information and events. We will be posting frequently to the website so please check regularly. We also have televisions in our Employment Resource Centres and reception areas that show up to date information about news and events.

We will also be using the Region of Waterloo Twitter account to send messages out to the public. You can follow our messages by searching for the hashtag #OntarioWorksWR on Twitter.

If you have a comment you would like to share about our services, or have suggestions about other information you would like us to share, please click here to let us know.